Thursday, June 7, 2012

Countertop Conundrum

Countertop time. I thought I knew what I wanted, but now I'm not so sure. We've pretty much narrowed it down to two options, and we're trying to decide between them. All along I've said I wanted a marble lookalike. Real marble looks like this.




Images via Pinterest

It has lots of variation to it. There's no uniformity to the "veins" or the pattern. I was going for colours as seen above - shades of white and grey.

Now, here are our options.

This first one has the right colours, but it lacks the variation. You can see that the pattern is quite uniform, so in that way it doesn't look quite like marble.



This second one has more variation but I find some of the greys to be a little dark.



Here's a little sample of it that I was able to bring home. You can see how dark the grey is in some places. It's not this dark throughout though.



The first option would have a softer overall look, while the second option is definitely more bold. We are doing a basic, white, subway-tile backsplash and the cupboards are white as well. Perhaps we need something a little eye-catching. Not sure. I'm just worried that I might get sick of it if it's too "in your face".

I've put this board together with some of the other kitchen elements we're considering to help me visualize it all (in this case with the bolder countertop option).



I'm still so undecided, but I can't be for much longer! Eeek. What are your thoughts?

-Sarah

10 comments:

  1. They are both gorgeous options! I think I am partial to the first one though. The color is so soft and subtle and would look so pretty in an all white kitchen! The second one does have a lot of variation to it, but it looks a little green? (don't know if that is just the lighting in the picture or not!)It would definitively be more of a high contrast look.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the first version as well. I like the "whiteness" of everything. Do you have dark floors? They seem to anchor the kitchen well as in the above pictures. For me I like the idea of displaying bright colorful items and having them stand out. Something else you may want to consider: I have "busy" counter tops and it is harder to see where they are dirty when wiping them off. Whatever you choose I know it will look great!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the first one too. Lighter colors just brighten things up and I feel like you can had bright or dark elements to change it up a bit.

    Xo

    ReplyDelete
  4. i love the first choice...maybe using a grey colored grout for the backsplash would add some interest.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sarah,
    I'd go with the first one. The second slab looks "angry". Of these two slabs I think the first is more serene. I can't wait to hear your decision.
    When I redid my kitchen from oak to white there were some tough decisions that made the project last longer than I'd hoped but it the end I went with my gut and what I really WANTED...so if something was more expensive I knew that expense wouldn't mean anything to me 5 years later. There were a few consessions made to let my husband choose one or two things...but a single point of view is key to bringing it all together. Trust yourself and go with your heart...don't over analyze. Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's a tough one. If I was deciding between the two, I think I'd go with the first one. It's lighter and airier like real marble..I think the darker is riskier and is more likely to show different undertones once installed?? If you have an island you could use it only on that and go with like a white caesarstone on the rest of the counters... I don't know...tough one.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes - the first one for sure. I like the relative uniformity of it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks, everyone! You've been most helpful. Sometimes my brain gets cloudy with all the options. It've nice to have a fresh perspective. XO

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think I like the first one as well. In contrast to all the white in your kitchen, the variations will be subtle but stand out. The other one will be too stark of a contrast. It is hard to see the bits and pieces on their own! Looking good though!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I like what Meredith said! The second one does have an angry air about it, and so based on that I would also go with the first option! This is so exciting, Sarah, and I love the pendants. They are just gorgeous :-)

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you. Thanks for taking the time to comment!