Thursday, June 14, 2012

Eat-in Kitchens

Hello, friends. I hope this finds you well. This striking kitchen caught be eye earlier today and got me thinking about eat-in kitchens.



With the movement towards open concept layouts, I guess you could say that eat-in kitchens have become quite popular in recent years. (Having a separate formal dining room is still nice for those special occasions and dinner parties.) An eat-in kitchen has a casual feel to it, but there's something homey and welcoming about it too.

An eat-in kitchen works best when the space is roomy. Otherwise, it looks and feels cramped. As stylish as the above kitchen is, it makes me feel a little claustrophobic. I think I would end up catching my knees and hips on the sides of the chairs a little too often (or that's at least how it looks from this angle).

Some others.







I like it best when you can still have a good sized island to work at and then a dining table tucked in the corner of a sunny breakfast nook. Giving up my island for a dining table is something I would only do if I really had to. What about you?

Maybe I'd go for this "table ousts island" look if I had a country/farmhouse kitchen. I think it really suits these kinds of kitchens.





Island vs. Table. Who comes away with the win for you?

-Sarah

Image Sources: Jennifer Eisenstadt; via pinterest (2 images); Tommy Smythe; Windsor Smith; Atlanta Homes; via pinterest (last 3 images)

3 comments:

  1. Great pictures..... I like a table over an island. Why you ask. Tables make the room feel open. An option if you will need the table for prep work use a table that is counter height. There are many gorgeous counter height chairs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Island. I have a table in my kitchen and I never use it for food prep. Maybe because it's lower than my counters? For me, an island would be an extension of my counters. Love the photos, they are all beautiful kitchens.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Tommy Smythe kitchen is my all-time fave... I just LOVE it! But I'd choose an island for my own house.

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you. Thanks for taking the time to comment!