Thursday, June 21, 2012

Symmetry, Oh how I Love Thee

Let me count the ways.







Most people agree that symmetry is beautiful.  It's a safe way to decorate because it almost always looks good. I've heard it said that if you can buy two of something, whether that be two vases, two lamps, or two chairs, then do it.

That being said, it's nice to mix things up from time to time. Symmetry shines and keeps from being boring when it's offset with a little asymmetry - something unexpected. Here are some examples of asymmetry in small doses. There is a strong symmetrical base or foundation with one or two things just a little off. It keeps things fresh and interesting. Interiors can look static and too perfect if everything is exact.

White Blossoms on the Left

Asymmetrical Leaf Wall Art

Mismatched Bedside Tables

Off-Centre Photograph

One Lamp

It was much harder to find examples of asymmetry, and I think that just goes to show that most people do prefer a symmetrical look. Being always perfect is a little boring though. Be daring and out there from time to time. I have to remind my perfectionist self of this. How about you?

-Sarah



5 comments:

  1. Oh it is all so beautiful...most important is to be true...not just symmetrical! True to what you love....then either works!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're so right. Great post. Love all the pics.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am such a sucker for symmetry! Love this post.

    Raiana
    lifeSTYLE

    ReplyDelete
  4. "Oh how I love"...the Paris Map!
    Meredith

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you. Thanks for taking the time to comment!