Friday, July 20, 2012

Wanna Be Artist (Me)

I finally did it. After putting it off for way too long, I set to painting the last two evenings. I've had the supplies for years and I've tried my hand at it a few times, but lately I've managed to come up with something half decent (or at least I'm not completely repulsed by it). I still have a long way to go and lots to learn, but I'm doing it and enjoying it. And I'm showing you??? I know you'll be kind.

This first one is simple with lines thick and thin going this way and that. The colours are navy, charcoal, light grey, blush and gold.





I was inspired by this painting in Kelly Wearstler's book, Hue.



And then I went a little crazy and tried something very abstract and dramatic. I realize this look is not for everyone, but it works for me. The colours make me happy.  






I actually started by painting the canvas a dark navy and the sides are a charcoal grey. Turquoise blue and gold brighten it up, and I experimented with some drips and splatters in black.

Dare I ask what you think? At any rate I now have something on the canvases and it was fun putting that something there. Now, to tackle the 3x4 canvas I have waiting for me. She intimidates me just a little.

Have a fabulous weekend, friends! Thanks for reading.

-Sarah



8 comments:

  1. I'm not exaggerating here, but let me tell you, I LOOOOVE that last painting. I'm sure you could easily sell it. The colors are so beautiful as are the brush strokes. If someone told me that it's a gallery piece, I would believe them. The first one is very nice too, but that bottom one is pretty special.

    Xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really, really love both of these! Would you be interest in making some to sell?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Tierra! I may consider selling some in the future, but I don't feel ready for that yet. :)

      Delete
  3. I agree - they are great! The second one is especially amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, I had no idea you were an artist! Those paintings are gorgeous! I especially love the second one. The colours are so beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I totally LOVE your abstract piece! It's fresh and moody in all the right ways :-) Good for you for taking the plunge - you definitely have a talent for this. Looking forward to seeing more!

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you. Thanks for taking the time to comment!