Tuesday, November 20, 2012

Our New (Old) Dining Table & Chairs

Look what came home with us this weekend!







A new-to-us dining table and chairs. As you can see, the table is oval (with 3 leaves) and there are 6 chairs. We also ended up purchasing a sideboard that's part of the set, but we hope to sell it as we have no room for it. The set is in great condition and has been well cared for (and it was a fantastic deal)!

If you read my post yesterday, you may be wondering where the "white on white dining" comes in as this is obviously NOT white. Well, I hope to make it white at some point. We'd like to have it spray lacquered (painted) eventually. I know some of you just experienced elevated blood pressure when you read that. Sorry. Here's a great article on painting antiques and... breathe.

We're going to live with it as is for a while though. I really love how the set is classic but still rather unique. The greek key detail on the backs of the chairs is by far my favourite part. Ok. So picture this. Everything gets spray lacquered in white. The seats get reupholstered in something like this.


via Tonic Living


Or this (But maybe white on navy. I'm kind of set on navy because that navy velvet sofa is happening. More on that later.)


via Pillotopia


And we do a little gold leaf on the greek key pattern and maybe in a few other places as well, to highlight the details.

Here are some similar looking chairs.







Jenny Komenda (Little Green Notebook) has an almost identical set of chairs in her dining room. She has left them wood finish.

 
Jenny's Dining Room
 
The cost to have the table and chairs redone is expensive so we're going to wait a while, but I may try to reupholster the seats myself in the meantime. If I do, I'll probably go with the navy and white stripe.

And here's the sideboard. It's a really beautiful piece with some built in drawers. The dimensions are 19" deep. 65 3/4" Wide. 30" Tall. We're asking $500, but we're open to offers. Local pick up only (Saskatoon). Let me know if you're interested.






I have to say we hadn't planned on purchasing this kind of dining set, but when we saw it, we knew it was for us. That's one thing I'm really learning as we decorate and furnish the house, don't be too married to your ideas because they will likely change. Leave room for the fabulous finds along the way. Ah, decorating is fun!

-Sarah


7 comments:

  1. Hi Sarah, I noticed a nice french chair (50s) on kijiji in PA. Covered in white silk. You might like it. I' m too far away :(
    p.s. I'm fine with painting old furniture. My husband is not...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fabulous find!! I agree...they would look much better in white:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Sarah, You may be interested to know the history of those chairs. They are are inspired by Klismos chairs - an ancient Greek chair. I think they are lovely. I hope they are really comfortable as well! Oh, and Holly of Pillotopia is a good friend of mine! Please tell her Alison says 'hi'! She's selling some of her goodies as our church sale next weekend and I can't wait to see what she's got!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What an incredible find! As soon as I saw the Greek key detail, I saw your name all over those chairs:-) You know what, if Saskatoon wasn't quite so far away, the sideboard would be getting a visit from me! I've been keeping an eye out for one that we can turn into a dresser, and the dimensions as well as storage details of this one would definitely work. Hhhh. At least I know there's hope yet! Great job, Sarah, and excellent advice as well on not being too married to your initial ideas. It's amazing how things do shift and change as you go.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a gorgeous find! So perfect for your space and just your style!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Sarah,
    I happened to stumble upon your blog and this post, and you like the Intertwine fabric, but in Navy perhaps. If you are ever interested I would be happy to make so for you! Also are you looking for sponsors? I would be interested, you have a nice little spot in blog-world.
    Thank you,

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Hollie! I am interested in the intertwine fabric. It's SO good. I messaged you through your etsy shop because I wasn't sure how else to contact you. I hope you get it! Looking forward to hearing from you. Kind Regards, Sarah

      Delete

I love hearing from you. Thanks for taking the time to comment!