Wednesday, February 13, 2013

To Quote an Expert

I'm reading through "The Language of Interior Design" by Alexa Hampton right now, and I'm really enjoying it. It's a well organized, inspiring read. I love her methodical, logical, albeit traditional approach, but she points out, "Only when you've learned the rules (of design), and the reason for them, can you successfully break them". This makes perfect sense to me.

She says that the best designers do have innate talent and creativity, but the language of design can be taught, and anyone can benefit from learning it. I'm up for some learning! Here are few other favourites from the book although I'm only a quarter of the way through, so there will likely be more to come. 

This first one made me smile. 



Very true. And some others. 

Contrastthe juxtaposition and balance of light and dark, rough and smooth, tall and short, open and closed, round and straighthelps engage the eye and draw it around the room. 


The more you repeat something, the less assertive it becomes, with its impact de-fanged and diluted. 


Responding to the specific architecture of each house, and the unique needs and tastes of each client, is what keeps design interesting.


It's important to note that when you opt for simple and modern, you have to place even greater emphasis on the quality of the materials, because they stand out that much more. 


It's all part of the orchestration that takes place between the best attributes of a room, which should be emphasized, and the less important or attractive elements, which should be downplayed. It is important, as you plan each room, to attend to both. 


When you have so few fabrics in a room (as is often the case in dining rooms), it's nice to layer in additional fabrics where possible.   


I'm delighted at what an excellent book this is proving to be. It will likely be one that I refer to again and again. So much more than a pretty coffee table book.

I realize this has turned into a rather wordy post. There was just so much good stuff to share!

Hugs, 

-Sarah

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing from you. Thanks for taking the time to comment!