Friday, November 6, 2015

Recent Painting & the Process

Hello, there! I hope things are well with you and yours. I've been painting a fair bit lately, and I feel like I'm finally getting the hang of things. One thing I like to do is take pictures along the way. It helps me see how things have improved when it feels like they haven't. Seeing the process in picture form is interesting and *usually* encouraging. I'm learning to trust the process and not stress too much when it looks bad before it looks good (that always seems to happen)! I thought I'd show you some "process" pictures just for fun. 

Here's a recent painting I finished. ("What the Bee Saw" Acrylic on Canvas, 48x48). Let's start with the final product, and then we'll jump back to the start and move forward one painting session at a time. 




Now, back to the very beginning. (Sorry for the picture quality. I usually paint in my basement where natural light is limited and there's a pot light right above me.) This would be after about an hour of work. It's basically just a sketch establishing the composition. 





And moving forward. 







Starting to get near the end. When I find myself focusing on small sections and working on about 15% of the canvas, I know I'm getting close. 






I find myself sitting back and just staring at the canvas in the final stages. I pinpoint the parts that bug me and think about how I can make them better. Deciding whether to go back into the painting or leave it be is always tricky. (That's when I bug my husband for his opinion and then ignore whatever he says. He loves it.) 


But I manage to get it done. All finished! 





Hope you liked seeing the process a little. Have a terrific weekend! 

Hugs, 

-Sarah







2 comments:

  1. Very beautiful Sarah! I would still LOVE to commission a piece from you (if that's the "right" way of saying it ha) ... I love seeing your talent and hard work turn into beautiful pieces :)

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you. Thanks for taking the time to comment!